Brexit Q&A

Brexit Q&A

Your Bexit questions answered

Brexit Q&A

Now that Brexit has happened, we're here to help you move forward with your travel plans. As we're sure you're aware, information changes quickly and often, but the government has a very comprehensive post-Brexit travel page. Having said that, we've also listed our most frequently asked questions below. If there's something else you'd like to ask, do not hesitate to get in touch.


What are the passport requirements?

From 01 January 2021, United Kingdom passport holders will be required to have a minimum six months' validity remaining on their passport. The validity is calculated from the date of issue (and not the date of expiry detailed on the document) and therefore the easiest way to ensure that your passport is acceptable to travel is to check that your passport was issued less than nine years, six months ago. We advise that - even if you don't have any current travel plans - you should check your passport's expiry date.


You can use the government's passport checker to see whether a renewal is required in your case. This requirement applies to all EU member states* plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.


No restrictions are in place for travel to the Republic of Ireland but note that this passport requirement also applies to the majority of countries worldwide.


Is my EHIC card still valid?

Your EHIC card is valid until its expiration date. A Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is being planned to cover chronic or existing illnesses and routine maternity care as well as emergencies - details to be released soon. Travel insurance with healthcare is still the best way to be covered.


How long can I stay in Europe?

Travellers from the United Kingdom are permitted to stay a maximum of 90 days in Europe during a rolling 180 day period. Each trip is counted towards your allowance.


Will my mobile phone still work?

Your mobile phone will still work, but you may be charged for calls, texts and data use. Many provides have already assured customers roaming will remain free, but you will need to check with your providor.


Do I need a tourist visa?

If you are a tourist, you do not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You will be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Different rules apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries do not count towards the 90-day total.You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.


We will endeavour to assist with visa requirements should these be relevant to your chosen destination, however it is each passenger's responsibility that they have the correct documentation for travel. 


Can I drive in Europe?

International Driving Permits may be required in some EU countries (and Norway) if you have a paper driving licence or a licence issued in Guernsey, Gibraltar, Jersey, and the Isle of Man. Check with the embassy of the country you will be driving in. You must have Green Card - a document showing you have valid vehicle insurance for driving abroad) as well as using GB sticker(s)


Where can I get the latest advice?

Please refer to FCDO for latest travel advice by country including safety and security, entry requirements, travel warnings and health. You may also wish to refer to the excellent Travel Aware Website to prepare for safe and healthy travel abroad.


Lastly, for more information on travelling during the Covid-19 pandemic, click here.


*EU member states include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. 

  • South Glos.
    01454 634070
  • Bristol
    0117 428 0570
  • Bath
    01225 418100

Call now so our expert team can design your perfect trip!

Get in Touch
Newsletter Signup

Many of the flights and flight-inclusive holidays on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. But ATOL protection does not apply to all holiday and travel services listed on this website. Please ask us to confirm what protection may apply to your booking. If you do not receive an ATOL Certificate then the booking will not be ATOL protected. If you do receive an ATOL Certificate but all parts of your trip are not listed on it, those parts will not be ATOL protected. Please see our booking conditions for information, or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: